9 Tactics for Twitter:
How to Get Started and How to Get Followers on Twitter
- Create your Twitter profile making sure you have:
- A smiley profile photo of yourself (or your logo)
- A customized background for your Twitter page with showing all your social media links. See http://www.digitaltrends.com/social-media/how-to-make-a-twitter-background/
- Follow five other people and/companies in your industry and/or with interests similar to yours.
- Search on Twitter for keywords related to your industry or interests. Follow 20 of those people each day.
- Tweet about topics related to your business and/or interests. A good plan for tweeting is:
- Action, i.e. a link to an interesting article
- Action, i.e. a link to something entertaining
- Random thought, i.e. something you are thinking or something you did
- Start at item a again and keep cycling through the list
- Tweet about other people 12 times more than you tweet about yourself.
- Unfollow people who are not following you back unless they are highly valuable for some reason. Use http://www.justunfollow.com or http://manageflitter.com
- Participate in conversations on Twitter by tweeting at people in your industry and retweeting tweets that may be interesting to your followers.
- It’s ok to post about yourself occasionally, but make sure it’s 20% of the time and not 80% of the time.
Don’t just take it from me, read the following great articles as well: